Why Conservatives Support Nondiscrimination Protections for LGBTQ Americans
Standing up against discrimination is consistent with the conservative values of individual freedom and working hard to care for your family. Increasingly, conservatives are leading the conversation of why all Americans – including LGBTQ Americans – must be protected equally under the law. (Click here to download a PDF version of this resource.)
Fairness for All Hardworking Americans
- Conservatives believe hardworking Americans deserve to be treated fairly and equally under the law. Sadly, too many hardworking Americans are facing discrimination in areas like employment, housing and public accommodations, just because they are gay or transgender.
- The America that many conservatives hold dear is a land of opportunity and freedom, where people who work hard and meet their responsibilities have the chance to get ahead. Everyone deserves the freedom to achieve the American Dream, including gay and transgender citizens.
Respecting Our Coworkers and Getting the Job Done
- Like many Americans, conservatives know that even though we may have different beliefs, what’s most important is focusing on what we have in common – taking pride in our work, respecting our coworkers and serving customers, and getting the job done.
- Conservatives understand that employees should be judged on their qualifications, experience, and the job they do – nothing more, nothing less.
Non-Discrimination Protections Are Good for Business
- Business leaders across the nation, including conservative leaders, agree: Discrimination is bad for business. Today’s top job creators seek states and communities that are welcoming to everyone, including their families, employees and customers.
- When every American is given the opportunity to work hard and earn a living, our economy, communities and nation succeed.