Job Announcement: Constituency Organizing ManagerPosted on August 6, 2019
Freedom for All Americans is the bipartisan campaign to secure full nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people nationwide. Freedom for All Americans includes two separate entities – Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund, collectively referred to as Freedom for All Americans (FFAA). Our work brings together conservatives and progressives, businesses large and small, people of faith, and allies from all walks of life to make the case for comprehensive non-discrimination protections that ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally.
With the ultimate goal of securing nationwide nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans, Freedom for All Americans works at the federal, state, and local level to grow public support for comprehensive and inclusive nondiscrimination protections, protect more people from discrimination, and build the team of advocates and influencers advocating for nondiscrimination protections. Founded in 2015, FFAA is a virtual organization with staff located across the country.
FFAA is seeking a Constituency Organizing Manager to join our campaign team and support outreach to, and activation of, key messengers in support of comprehensive nondiscrimination protections for the LGBTQ community in September of 2019. The Constituency Organizing Manager should be an individual deeply committed to advancing LGBTQ equality and LGBTQ nondiscrimination protections.
Experienced applicants are encouraged to apply for this full-time position, which will be responsible for identification, tracking, stewardship, and activation of both unlikely advocates and individuals with strong personal stories detailing the urgency and need for inclusive protections. The Constituency Organizing Manager will work closely with FFAA and partner staff to identify leads and also have the ability to conduct “cold” calls and make strong asks over the phone.
Supported by Freedom for All Americans’ communications and digital teams, an emphasis will be placed on creating opportunities to demonstrate public support and to publicize stories through earned media stories, Op Eds, written statements or quotes, online profiles and in-person media events. The Constituency Organizing Manager will assist supporters in the development of their personal story and be able to coordinate successful transfer of media prospect information to FFAA colleagues.
The Constituency Organizing Manager will also provide support to existing constituency programs, including research of potential advocates, tracking of supporter engagement, and production of communications to members of FFAA constituent programs. The successful Constituency Organizing Manager will be comfortable with detailed tracking and reporting and have the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
The Constituency Organizing Manager reports to the Senior Director of Campaigns and will interface closely with many members of the team. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender diverse people, women, and people of all political backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Priority projects for the Constituency Organizing Manager will include:
- Research and track potential advocates within the business, conservative, sports and entertainment industries.
- Work with key partners to conduct outreach and story collection among members of the LGBTQ community facing discrimination due to HIV status.
- Coordinate with staff from state partner organizations to support outreach and recruitment of community leaders and clergy in key districts to speak publicly in support of inclusive nondiscrimination.
- Provide updates for Mayors and members of Small Business coalition about public education and legislative developments in their region or state.
- Other projects as assigned by Campaign leadership team, often depending on developments in key states or legislative districts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Constituency Organizing Manager will work closely Campaign leadership team to develop and implement a plan for outreach, including state-specific goals and timelines for progress of each constituency area.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A deep commitment to advancing LGBTQ equality and nondiscrimination protections.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to develop long-term plans, set objectives, and track progress towards achieving objectives.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Microsoft Office) and CRM software such as Salesforce.
- Willingness to travel frequently and nationally–including periodic weekend and evening responsibilities—and work effectively on the road in a variety of environments.
- Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, campaign environment and adapt to a quickly changing landscape while being detail-oriented.
- History of conducting outreach to community leaders, business leaders and others. This includes the ability to conduct “cold” outreach, make strong asks, and overall love of recruitment.
- Interest and skill in bipartisan work; ability to adjust messaging and tone to various audiences
- Experience managing coalition relationships, working in coordination with partner organizations and providing support for partners and colleagues and others to successfully participate in program plans.
- Minimum three years campaign experience, including: public education, legislative advocacy and/or candidate campaigns.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills for a range of lay and professional audiences, including ability to draft recruitment materials and scripts.
- Strong knowledge management and organizational skills to contribute to robust and user-friendly research and data.
- Experience with and/or aptitude for building bipartisan public education efforts.
- A professional approach and a commitment to a workplace that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, political affiliation, and socio-economic circumstances.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the United States, but candidates based in Washington, DC or NYC are preferred. Candidates must be able to work from home and feel comfortable frequently engaging with colleagues and partners by phone, video conference, email, and other digital communications tools.
This position requires significant travel, including: at least 2 staff retreats, ad hoc organizational meetings, movement gatherings, travel to priority states, and more.
FFAA will provide all of the tools necessary to succeed in this position.
Salary is commensurate with experience. [$50,000 – $65,000]
FFAA provides a competitive benefits package, including health care, dental, vision, 401K match, long and short term disability, paid sick leave, and a generous vacation structure including many paid holidays.
To apply, please complete our online application form which requires a resume – applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No calls please. We welcome and encourage applications from people of color, indigenous people, transgender people, and people from across the political spectrum, as well as people who live in states that do not have comprehensive nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people.
Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund will consider all applicants solely on the basis of their qualifications to perform the responsibilities of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, religion, marital status, ancestry, age, matriculation, pregnancy, childbirth, tobacco use, personal appearance, disability, or veteran status. The Organization does not allow, condone or tolerate discrimination against any protected class. This EEO policy is applied to all areas of employment and program participation, including recruitment, hiring, work assignments, compensation, promotions, transfers, and opportunities for training and career advancement. Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund are equal opportunity employers and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.