Job Announcement: Communications StrategistPosted on June 21, 2019
Freedom for All Americans is the bipartisan campaign to secure full nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people nationwide. Freedom for All Americans includes two separate entities – Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund, collectively referred to as Freedom for All Americans (FFAA). Our work brings together conservatives and progressives, businesses large and small, people of faith, and allies from all walks of life to make the case for comprehensive non-discrimination protections that ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally.
With the ultimate goal of securing nationwide nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans, Freedom for All Americans works at the federal, state, and local level to grow public support for comprehensive and inclusive nondiscrimination protections, protect more people from discrimination, and build the team of advocates and influencers advocating for nondiscrimination protections. Founded in 2015, FFAA is headquartered in Washington, DC with most staff working virtually across the country.
Freedom for All Americans is seeking to hire a Communications Strategist to start in August 2019.
The Communications Strategist will be responsible for implementing and helping to develop communications strategies to advance LGBTQ nondiscrimination at the federal level and in priority states.
This position will work closely with other public affairs staff, and program staff. This position will be the lead on communications for advocacy in key states and FFAA programs; it will also play an important role in communications work at the federal level.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
Reports to: Chief Communications Officer
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide communications expertise for LGBTQ nondiscrimination advocacy in FFAA priority states.
- Act as a state communications lead in priority states, working closely with state-based partner organizations on earned media strategies, press events and public hearings to help move public opinion in favor of comprehensive nondiscrimination policies.
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans to support state-level advocacy that aligns with nationwide advocacy plans that utilize both earned media and digital strategies.
- Identify and train prominent spokespeople and other key messengers.
- Write and disseminate media materials, public education materials, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters in order to place news stories that reflect FFAA strategy and messages.
- Serve as a public affairs liaison to FFAA key program areas.
- Develop concise and compelling talking points, media materials, toolkits and fact sheets that are based in existing message research.
- Organize earned media events, hearings, and press conferences and ensure that spokespeople are on message and prepped for media interviews.
- Ensure communication strategy is consistent and reflects the organization’s strategic vision.
- Write digital content, including email action alerts and social media posts that align with FFAA goals and messages.
- Provide communications support in implementing federal communications plans to win nondiscrimination protections for all LGBTQ Americans.
- Work closely with partner organizations in the LGBTQ movement to ensure message consistency and close coordination.
Our ideal candidate will
- Be deeply committed to advancing LGBTQ equality and nondiscrimination protections.
- Have 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit communications, advocacy, or campaign work.
- Have excellent writing skills and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Bring experience with media relations and/or digital communications.
- Be detail oriented.
- Have experience and comfort working with technology that fosters a supportive remote work climate.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, campaign environment and adapt to a quickly changing landscape.
- Simultaneously work independently and collaboratively in a team-based remote environment with minimal supervision.
- Be able to travel frequently and work remotely.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL
This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in the United States, but candidates based in Washington, DC or NYC are preferred. Candidates must be able to work from home and feel comfortable frequently engaging with colleagues and partners by phone, video conference, email, and other digital communications tools.
FFAA will provide all of the tools necessary to succeed in this position.
This position requires significant travel, including at least 2 staff retreats, ad hoc organizational meetings, movement gatherings, and more.
Salary is commensurate with experience. [$65,000 – $80,000]
FFAA provides a competitive benefits package, including health care, dental, vision, 401K match, long and short term disability, paid sick leave, and a generous vacation structure including many paid holidays.
To apply, please complete our online application form which requires a resume and a few questions to be answered– applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No calls please. We welcome and encourage applications from people of color, indigenous people, transgender people, and people from across the political spectrum, as well as people who live in states that do not have comprehensive nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people.
Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund will consider all applicants solely on the basis of their qualifications to perform the responsibilities of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, religion, marital status, ancestry, age, matriculation, pregnancy, childbirth, tobacco use, personal appearance, disability, or veteran status. The Organization does not allow, condone or tolerate discrimination against any protected class. This EEO policy is applied to all areas of employment and program participation, including recruitment, hiring, work assignments, compensation, promotions, transfers, and opportunities for training and career advancement. Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund are equal opportunity employers and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.