Job Announcement: Chief of StaffPosted on May 31, 2019
Freedom for All Americans is the bipartisan campaign to secure full nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people nationwide. Freedom for All Americans includes two separate entities – Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund, collectively referred to as Freedom for All Americans (FFAA). Our work brings together conservatives and progressives, businesses large and small, people of faith, and allies from all walks of life to make the case for comprehensive non-discrimination protections that ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally.
With the ultimate goal of securing nationwide nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans, Freedom for All Americans works at the federal, state, and local level to hold the line on past victories, make the case that nondiscrimination is a real and urgent need, and demonstrate that America is ready for a national solution. Founded in 2015, FFAA is a virtual organization with staff located across the country.
FFAA is seeking a Chief of Staff to start in August 2019. The Chief of Staff is a strategic partner to the executive team responsible for ensuring organization wide alignment, cohesion, and impact in planning and implementation of organization priorities. They steward cross-functional, organization-wide projects and initiatives; design systems and processes to streamline organization-wide communications and operations; manage annual and multi-year work planning processes; create and update dashboards for regularly reviewing impact, assessing performance, and recommending adjustments; project manage board and staff retreat planning; and oversee hiring, human resources and finance processes. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief of Staff and will work closely with the staff executive team and department leads. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender diverse people, women, and people of all political backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Chief Operating Officer
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Planning and Alignment
- Work with CEO and executive team to set and continually assess organizational priorities and progress, including:
- Manage annual and multi-year work planning processes, and align it with staff retreats, board meetings, and fiscal year budgeting processes.
- Create and update dashboards for regularly assessing performance and impact, and recommend necessary adjustments.
- Plan and facilitate all-staff meetings, executive team meetings, and retreats.
- Steward organizational development planning and processes.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on organizational progress for CEO, boards, and funders as needed.
- Support CEO and President of Strategy in ensuring organization wide alignment, communication, and cohesion, including:
- Steward cross-functional, organization-wide projects and initiatives.
- Design and oversee systems and processes to streamline organization-wide communication and operations.
- Maximize cross-departmental opportunities and troubleshoot cross-function challenges, as needed.
- Updating the project management software with organizational work plans to increase cross-department collaboration on major programs, projects, and functions.
- Maintaining and updating the project management software folders and systems.
- Work with the executive team to oversee organization-wide staffing and professional development needs, including:
- Designing and supporting hiring teams in recruiting, hiring, and on–boarding new staff.
- Overseeing staff performance reviews.
- Developing individual and organization-wide professional development programming.
- Managing staff structure and maintaining alignment between staff structure, job classifications, position responsibilities, and salaries.
- Help create and reinforce a collaborative, results-oriented staff culture that reflects our values of inclusion and equity.
- Managing the individual work planning process, ensuring all staff have individual work plans that rollup to the organizational goals.
- Supporting the management of individuals and the implementation of their individual work plans, including building out structures in the project management software as needed.
- Supervise the Chief Operations Officer in:
- Managing the budgeting process and timeline, production of timely and accurate financial reports, and managing fiscal year budgets and cash flow, including the creation, distribution, and oversight of department and project budgets.
- Maintaining human resource systems, processes, and infrastructure including personnel policies, benefits, payroll, etc.
- Implementing technology and virtual communications systems to support team communication and collaboration
Board of Directors
- Partner with CEO and executive team to support board engagement, including:
- Agenda development and preparation for quarterly board meetings.
- Coordinating logistics for in-person board meetings.
- Staff Board Affairs Committee, coordinate board recruitment efforts, and maintain board bylaws, policies, and procedures.
- Support CEO and other senior staff with staffing Board Executive Committee, Board Affairs Committee, and Board Policy Committee, respectively.
- Support Board Secretary in keeping accurate board meeting minutes, tracking board email votes, and maintaining board records and board listservs.
Our ideal candidate will…
- Be deeply committed to advancing LGBTQ equality and nondiscrimination protections.
- Be a data-driven strategic thinker while also exhibiting strong people skills.
- Have strong management skills and organizational development experience.
- Be a results-driven planner and implementer who consistently looks ahead and anticipates needs before they arise.
- Be an exemplary communicator (both written and verbal) who listens well and can learn to communicate in someone else’s “written voice.”
- Have a strategic, solution-oriented mindset that enjoys creating order out of chaos by identifying and executing new systems and processes.
- Excel at building relationships and networks needed to influence others to achieve outcomes.
- Thrive in fast-paced non-profit and campaign environments.
- Exhibit emotional intelligence, self-awareness, empathy, curiosity, confidence, and humility.
- Be a strong generalist, with experience in wide-ranging or cross-functional areas, and an eagerness to learn new skills.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL
The ideal candidate would be located in Washington, DC or NYC, but an exception may be made for an exceptional candidate. Candidates must be able to work from home and feel comfortable frequently engaging with colleagues and partners by phone, video conference, email, and other digital communications tools. FFAA will provide all of the tools necessary to succeed in this position.
This position requires significant travel, including at least 2 staff retreats, ad hoc organizational meetings, movement gatherings, fundraising events, board meetings, and more.
Salary is commensurate with experience. [$100,000 – $139,000]
FFAA provides a competitive benefits package, including health care, dental, vision, 401K match, long and short term disability, paid sick leave, and a generous vacation structure including many paid holidays.
To apply, please complete our online application form which requires a resume – applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No calls please. We welcome and encourage applications from people of color, indigenous people, transgender people, and people from across the political spectrum, as well as people who live in states that do not have comprehensive nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people.
Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund will consider all applicants solely on the basis of their qualifications to perform the responsibilities of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, religion, marital status, ancestry, age, matriculation, pregnancy, childbirth, tobacco use, personal appearance, disability, or veteran status. The Organization does not allow, condone or tolerate discrimination against any protected class. This EEO policy is applied to all areas of employment and program participation, including recruitment, hiring, work assignments, compensation, promotions, transfers, and opportunities for training and career advancement. Freedom for All Americans and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund are equal opportunity employers and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.